Mission & History

MISSION                                                                                                         Becoming Disciples of Jesus Christ by                                                                                         Loving People + Discovering Hope + Following Jesus + Living the Eucharist

 

HISTORY

The history of Sacred Heart Parish can be divided loosely into three major phases: The Mission Period, 1909-1937; the Early Parish, 1927-1947; and the Parish Expansion, 1947-1960.  

Our beautiful second church was dedicated in 1960.  We were established as a parish in 1927.  However, regular Sunday Masses began in Covina in 1909.  Our first permanent church was opened in 1911.  The story of our faith presence in this area begins in 1771 with the founding of the San Gabriel Mission; five years before the American Revolution.